[esocialaction] open doc proposal - Roles and Finance

Clodagh Miskelly clodagh.miskelly at uwe.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 16:55:23 BST 2005

Ariel wrote:

"I can put the NGO that I work with in Brazil to test the softwares, also, we can make a documentary or something, the issue is that, since the software will be in English, i believe that could be difficult to put the community were we work to do the test since they can´t speak the language, but, people from the staff of the NGO can handle English very well, so maybe them from the staff could work as a tester community (the staff is broad inf social and geographic origins and context). In this case, I could do the training with them."

But isn't this precisely the kind of thing we should be considering in developing the project.  How not to make it anglocentric, how to design software that can be used without having to speak a particular language or perhaps with little or not literacy.  There are examples of participatory video projects and other projects where symbols or recognition of a set of words etc.. can enable participation .. rather than just removing participation to a set of mediators.. ...

Clodagh