[SlugBug] E-17

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 21 08:26:43 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 00:14 +0100, Andy Halsall wrote:
> Anyway, if anyone is looking for a slightly different desktop, that is
> both very lightweight and very good looking and well designed, then take
> a look. Id love to hear what people think (not that I am associated with
> the project, but the comments I have had from non-geeks who have looked
> at my laptop have been interesting, it'd like to compare)

It does seem to appeal to non-geeks :)
In the late 90s I worked in a ``new media'' environment. Everyone
else had MacOS on their desktop, but they all stopped by to ask
questions about my Enlightenment 16 Desktop. None of them made
a move to GNU/Linux at the time, but quite a few tried BeOS after I
demonstrated it there on an old Pentium PC.

Now I run E17 as the secondary desktop on my laptop (PWM remains
my first choice, after many years of failing to find anything
better ;)
The flexible arrangement of desktops you mention is good - I have
nine in a square, meaning I never have far to move to get to
a particular workspace. The effects (all done with 2D libraries)
impress almost everyone. So much so that I no longer feel the
need to start GNOME, and show off spinning 3D cubes on 16MB
of in-built Intel graphics =o)

> Oh and additionally I have been running familiar on my Ipaq for a while
> now and was wondering if anyone else is using familiar or OE on a PDA.

I'm waiting for my OpenMoko ;-)

Regards,

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org