[SlugBug] OpenWRT and Wireless Router

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Sun Jun 4 20:12:31 BST 2006

Quoting Chris J <cej at nightwolf.org.uk>:

> Has anyone any experience of a decent wireless router and OpenWRT? Or what
> routers to avoid getting (regardless of OpenWRT support)?

I have succesfully got openwrt running on the WRT54GS a few times.  Its pretty
easy to flash, and as long as you enable boot_wait in the nvram you can always
fall back to the linksys firmware.  I've never had any stability issues with
the WRT54G's though, and if you are happy with a shell prompt they are very
flexible.  They have an apt like package system called ipkg, so its relatively
easy to add repositories and just

ipkg update; ipkg install openvpn

to get the openvpn server installed. ( say )

I have also installed openwrt on an ASUS WL-HDD,

http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=12&l2=44&l3=0&model=460&modelmenu=1

this gave me some issues  with the differences between the nvram variables in
the ASUS kit and the Linksys, and I thought I had bricked the AP, but was able
to restore it.. phew

http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=4164

> Been able to do some more poking since my first post, and it looks like the
> infamous Linksys WRT54GL is going to be the one to go for...!

I haven't purchased any wrt54g variants in a little time now.  I've not seen the
GL advertised in UK.  There are issues with the later versions of wrt54g family
not being able to run openwrt.

If I was going to be a bit experimental, I'd go for an ASUS Wl-500G deluxe

http://reviews.cnet.com/Asus_WL_500g_wireless_router/4507-3319_7-30650222.html

with its USB and parallel ports.

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily