[SlugBug] OpenWRT and Wireless Router

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Sun Jun 4 23:14:01 BST 2006

[...snippy snippy...]

> I haven't purchased any wrt54g variants in a little time now.  I've not seen
> the GL advertised in UK.  There are issues with the later versions of wrt54g
> family not being able to run openwrt.

*nods*, so I gather. The GL was found whilst browsing through the available
hardware on ebuyer :-)

> If I was going to be a bit experimental, I'd go for an ASUS Wl-500G deluxe
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Asus_WL_500g_wireless_router/4507-3319_7-30650222.html
>
> with its USB and parallel ports.

Now that could be done. Seems to put a tick on all the right boxes, but
I'll have a closer look later. Not listed at ebuyer though. Have to start
shopping around - where is a good place to by kit from these days? (it's been
a few years since owt was bought 'ere).

The need to get a new firewall is increasing though -- I've been trying this
evening get an XP box with Cisco VPN Client through the OpenBSD firewall, with
no luck. This is probably due to the version of OBSD I'm running on the
firewall... 2.9 is about 5 years old now, and doesn't have support for
forwarding IPSec; even getting a decent NAT rule to shove isakmp through
seems to be impossible.

3.9's out that should do everything I need :-) However I'm trying to reduce
the amount of physical hardware (in terms of space and number) I have, so
the OBSD box is going to be phased out. It's a pity -- I like the OS.

Cheers Alan, I'll take a gander at the ASUS :-)

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson                 \ NP: Nothing!
 \ cej at nightwolf.org.uk          \