[SlugBug] net-snmp-utils probs

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 15:14:15 GMT 2006

Hi

On Wed 22-Feb-2006 at 02:09:46PM +0000, Bill Best wrote:

> this crap in /var/log /messages:
>
> >Feb 22 13:30:02 fileserver snmpd[31899]: No page line in /proc/stat

Sorry I dunno what to suggest here...

> once i've got my head around this i'll probably have to ask the list
> about installing Cacti, Munin and other graphing tools...

I just installed Munin on a RHEL3 machine today, it would have been a
really simple matter of:

  apt-get install munin minin-node
  /etc/init.d/munin-node start

But this server has Perl in /usr/local so it was rather more
complicated...

Get the Munin RPM for FC2 from the sourceforge
site:

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98117&package_id=117759&release_id=367308

And if you install rpmforge-release and apt from here:

  http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rpmforge-release/
  http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/

You should then be able to apt-get install all the munin dependancies
easily, I needed:

  perl-Net-Server
  rrdtool
  perl-rrdtool
  perl-HTML-Template

Then just change this line in /etc/munin/munin.conf to reflect your
hostname:

  # a simple host tree
  [true.linpro.no]

And you should have stats at /munin/ assuming that you ahve all the
default apache stuff unchanged (if you have messed with it you just need
to set up access to /var/www/html/munin/"

Turning on and off plugins and setting up a seperate server are things I
haven't yet tried...

Perhaps we should document this on the wiki...

Chris