[SlugBug] net-snmp-utils probs

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Feb 22 19:18:22 GMT 2006

hi

many thanks for this Chris - good stuff.

> Bill Best wrote:
>
>>this crap in /var/log /messages:
>>
>>>Feb 22 13:30:02 fileserver snmpd[31899]: No page line in /proc/stat

Chris wrote
> Sorry I dunno what to suggest here...

ok, so i cannot suppress certain unwanted messages in syslog - alright.

> I just installed Munin on a RHEL3 machine today, it would have been a
> really simple matter of:
>
>   apt-get install munin minin-node
>   /etc/init.d/munin-node start
>
> But this server has Perl in /usr/local so it was rather more
> complicated...
>
> Get the Munin RPM for FC2 from the sourceforge
> site:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98117&package_id=117759&release_id=367308

didn't know what to choose so i went for munin-1.2.4-1.sl1000.rpm and
munin-node-1.2.4-1.sl100.rpm

> And if you install rpmforge-release and apt from here:
>
>   http://dag.wieers.com/packages/rpmforge-release/
>   http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/

i had apt-get already installed but what does rpmforge-release do may i ask?

> You should then be able to apt-get install all the munin dependancies
> easily, I needed:
>
>   perl-Net-Server
>   rrdtool
>   perl-rrdtool
>   perl-HTML-Template

yes, all these are now installed nicely.

but i've got this problem:

[root at machine root]# rpm -ivh munin-*
error: Failed dependencies:
         ps is needed by munin-node-1.2.4-1
         sysstat is needed by munin-node-1.2.4-1

"apt-get install sysstat" worked but i cannot do "apt-get install ps"

[root at machine root]# apt-get install ps
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package ps

and, of course, i have /bin/ps anyway - any ideas here please?

> [..]

all very good and useful stuff when I get there.

> Perhaps we should document this on the wiki...

well you're already half way there with these instructions  :o)

> Chris

cheers

bill