[SlugBug] MediaWiki LocalSettings.php

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 20:43:10 BST 2005

Hi

On Tue 27-Sep-2005 at 12:40:11PM +0100, Bill wrote:

> i've just recently installed a version of MediaWiki and i would like
> top use the same set-up as the SlugBug wiki i.e. visitors can view
> all/most poages but need to log in to edit them.

Just add this to LocalSettings.php:

  # only logged in users can edit
  $wgWhitelistEdit = true;

> i've read the FAQ etc but would just like to quickly know the relevant
> settings in LocalSettings.php as i currently have the following as per
> the FAQ:
>
> >$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> >$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
> >$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin" );
> >$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;
>
> but visitors to my wiki can currently edit the Main Page but not view
> the other pages.

I'd delete all that stuff if I were you...

Some of the other setting that I generally set are these:

  # allow users to be banned
  $wgSysopUserBans = true;

  # http://www.google.com/googleblog/2005/01/preventing-comment-spam.html
  $wgNoFollowLinks = false;

  # This is the list of preferred extensions for uploading files.
  # Uploading
  # files with extensions not in this list will trigger a warning.
  $wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'pdf', 'rtf', 'doc' );

I hope this helps...

Chris