[SlugBug] ssh account lockouts

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 15:21:27 BST 2004

Chris wrote:

> Hi

hi

> On Thu 22-Jul-2004 at 10:54:21AM +0100, Bill Best wrote:
>
>>how can i lockout access to a server via ssh after a
>>pre-determined number (say, three) of unsuccessful login attempts?
>
> I thought this kind of thing happened by default?

does it?

well more specifically, my servers are getting repeatedly probed by
'burglars trying the locks' so when someone tries to log in but fails as
'guest', 'test' and 'admin' then i want to ban further attempts from
that IP.

> Anyway, I don't know the answer to this, but when you do find the
> answer you could add it to the SSH security tips section of this page:

if i knew the answer then i wouldn't have asked in the first place ;^)

>   http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/Security_tips#SSH_stuff

hmm, i've updated it with some other stuff.

> Chris

ta

bb