[SlugBug] ssh account lockouts

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Thu Jul 22 10:58:24 BST 2004

Hi

On Thu 22-Jul-2004 at 10:54:21AM +0100, Bill Best wrote:

> how can i lockout access to a server via ssh after a
> pre-determined number (say, three) of unsuccessful login attempts?
>
> i've had a look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config and have amended some
> parameters such as LoginGraceTime and so on but i cannot see
> specifically how do lock an account out after a number of bad
> login attempts.

I thought this kind of thing happened by default? Anyway, I don't
know the answer to this, but when you do find the answer you could
add it to the SSH security tips section of this page:

  http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/Security_tips#SSH_stuff

Chris

--
http://wiki.slugbug.org.uk/
SlugBug - the Sheffield Linux Users Group and BSD Users Group