[SlugBug] sharing directories over internet

Richard Fletcher Richard at zedcore.com
Wed Aug 25 13:00:13 BST 2004

Andy Davidson wrote:

> On 25 Aug 2004, at 11:15, Chris wrote:
>
>> On Wed 25-Aug-2004 at 11:04:58AM +0100, Richard Fletcher wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of something which can synchronise direcories
>>> prefereably over ssh between two gentoo boxes?
>>
>> rsync via ssh is what I use when I'm not using subversion or cvs.
>

> Having sync on a 10 or 15 minute delay means that you can (hopefully)
> catch a potential mishap reaching the other box in time, whereas
> immediate sync would possibly lose this useful 'feature'.
>
> We do this at work (when we can't think of anything better) to sync
> between two non-live, but similar environments.  Having a wee delay
> has saved my job (ok, a grandiose delusion, but saved me from a
> telling off - or worse, extra work) once before.

I use CVS, so the proceedure is generally;
make a change,
rsync
test it,
fix it
rsync
test it again
fix it again
rsync
test it again
commit to cvs

So I tend not to worry about mucking things up. But since I need to do
an rsync or similar to test it, then the above suggestion would not work
for me.

Good idea though.

--
Richard