[SlugBug] Webalizer not reading appended log file

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Thu Aug 19 12:41:22 BST 2004

On Thu 19-Aug-2004 at 12:27 +0100, David Hooper wrote:

> I've recently transfered the hosting of a website over to a new physical
>  server to improve performance.  The new server was running in parallel
> with the old for about a month.
>
> I now need to merge the old log files with the new access files - so I
> still have all my old statistics.  I've copied over all the log files
> and appended them to the new log files.
>
> cat new_log old_log > appended_log

Did you mean to write this?

    cat old_log new_log > appended_log

> I've copied the appended log files to "/var/log/httpd/access_log" but,
> having reinitialized webalizer it still only displays the recent stats.

Webalizer has trouble with logs files that are written out of order,
you might have to delete the entries from the new file that overlap.

There is an option (-f) to deal with this situation, but I could
never get it to work - You might want to try that first.

--
Bruno