[SlugBug] Secure data transfer

Bill Best bill at commedia.org.uk
Tue Apr 6 10:01:00 BST 2004

hi

Jonathan wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been asked to find out the best method of secure client/server
> transfer of data.
>
> I've suggested SSL as the obvious method, but I'm struggling to find any
> decent papers on the overheads of such a system, particularly any
> increased bandwidth requirements.

i suppose it all depends on what you want to do but you could consider
using rsync over ssh:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/

it's excellent for keeping a filesystem in sync between two machines -
more on this here:

http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/38

(follow the "see also" links at the bottom of the page for more useful
tips).

initially there would be a network overhead as your filesystem is
mirrored but then after that, subsequent traffic between the two
machines reflects incremental changes that have been made on the client.

bb