[SlugBug] Secure data transfer

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Mon Apr 5 18:33:19 BST 2004

Hi Jonathan

> I've been asked to find out the best method of secure client/server
> transfer of data.
>
> I've suggested SSL as the obvious method, but I'm struggling to find any
> decent papers on the overheads of such a system, particularly any
> increased bandwidth requirements.
>
> Can any SLugBuggers suggest somewhere I might find such a beast?

I personally use scp (secure copy) which is based around ssh.  In terms of
overhead the actual protocol doesn't get in the way too much but I have
found it's mainly the actual CPU overhead of encrypting the data which slows
down the whole process.  However you can select a different encryption
algorithm (using the -c option) which give a lower CPU overhead (like the
blowfish algorithm). Note there maybe an issue of reduced security by
selecting an alternate algorithm but I (personally) would think the risk
minimal (depending on the data of course).

Of course this depends on the remote end running an SSH daemon.  But that
shouldn't be a problem if you're running BSD or Linux. ;-)

HTH
Mark