[SlugBug] Hello

boneidol at burngreave.net boneidol at burngreave.net
Fri Jul 18 02:24:15 BST 2003

Quoting James Mears <james at mearsonline.co.uk>:

> > Phew, hiya James!
>
> Hi Neil how are you?
>
> > I'm glad to see you here, since I wanted to pick your brains about buying
> > Wireless LAN, especially after your perfect advice on my modem/router
> > solution.

If your interested in an Open Source Wireless solution, there is also

1.  Pebble Linux  - http://www.nycwireless.net/pebble.

This is a small < 64MB  Debian based Linux distro that turns Prism chipset
based Wifi cards into Access Points using the hostap driver
http://hostap.epitest.fi/

A list of wifi cards and their chipsets is available http://www.linux-
wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters_supported_html2.html

Its really designed for soekris pc's http://www.soekris.com/  but I've got a
number of pebbles kicking about, running on P75 with 32 Mb RAM.

2.  Dell truemobile 1184

This is a commercial Access Point  / router thats actually Open Source.  Dell
release the code for it.  Theres some people trying to reflash them etc
http://trilug.org/~chrish/dell-1184/

3.  run the hostap driver on your desktop PC and turn it into an accesspoint as
well, following the howto here

http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html

One of the problems with Linux and wireless is getting drivers for the
different card chipsets out there.  The 802.11b Lucent / Orinico / Avaya cards
and their clones like Buffalo cards are built on the hermes chipset.  There is
a good open source driver, the orinoco_cs driver for them, I guess its included
in the kernel these days.  The other well supported client driver is the
wlan_ng driver,for the Prism Chipset.

There are a number of other chipsets out there, which aren't as well supported,
or at all. So when buying a card check out the chipset first.  Also there are
no good drivers for 802.11g yet

Hope that helps

Bone
--