[SlugBug] Re: Suggestions

Neil McGovern maulkin at halon.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 21:16:58 BST 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:47:21PM +0100, Bruno Postle wrote:
> > I would like to help ensure that you're doing it 'right' to avoid
> > many of the mistakes of Sheflug.
> >
> > Firstly, I would change the name to avoid stepping on toes (well,
> > as far as is possible ;). Slugbug is kind of neat, but doesn't
> > expand very well, and I would name the area differently. London
> > have two (among many) major lugs, Gllug and Lonix. Please ensure
> > that you differentiate yourselves somehow, even if it's just
> > calling yourselves LovelyLUG or something. South Yorkshire isn't
> > taken, and would fit with the West Yorks and East Yorks scheme
> > already in place.

SYLUG? Could still be pronounced slug :P

> > I think it would also be useful for you guys - if you are the
> > people who are 'running' the show - to put in place some actual,
> > public information about what you are doing. That means:
> >
> >  i.   Explaining what you are doing
> >  ii.  Explaining why you are doing it
> >  iii. Being publically responsible for Slugbug
> >  iv.  Explaining why your way is better than the current way (extra
> >       marks for putting in place some kind of authority structure -
> >       benevolent dictatorship hasn't shown itself to work)

>From my experience of chairing a geeky committee:

Good idea to make it more official.
I know that the idea (probably) behind slugbug is that it's a more
informal list than SHEFLUG, but official != formal.

I'd be happy to help out in any way I can with the running of the thing
:P

Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li 8DEC67C5