[SlugBug] [HELP] dead debian X mouse

Paul Arzul patricka at mkdoc.com
Fri Aug 15 16:55:09 BST 2003

On Fri 15-Aug-2003 at 01:28:08PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:32:05PM +0100, Paul Arzul wrote:
> > what else could be grabbing the mouse?
>
> lsof | grep /dev/ps2aux
> maybe?

no match (nothing with grep /dev/p either).

> > i don't know how much more voodoo i'm going to perform. anyone care to
> > recommend a bsd flavour for a painless install? :)
>
> FreeBSD 9

9? i see 4.8 and 5.1 on linuxiso.org...

> Debian cups is good, I recommend you install the cups helpers too - for
> example, there's a package for OpenOffice.org that will integrate cups
> into it's print system - so rather than have to pass options to lpr, you
> can select the printer name from a drop-down.

thanks for that. i send everything through lp, since lpr appears fubar.
output from vim hardcopy looks good, and muttprint is excellent (it even
supports xface!).

> Your mouse problem is wierd, I've never heard of it before - Debian can
> usually auto-detect them, even in woody. I would try booting to single user
> mode and running mdetect while wiggling the mouse and see if anything
> comes out. What make of mouse is it?

i'll try that tonight. the box at home is identical to my work one (i
bought the systems at the same time so i could experiment and know that
it was the software at fault.)

the mouse is a genius netscroll+ (same as at work). although gpm is
uninstalled, there's still the library libgpmg1 installed. i've not
removed that as it appears to remove the gimp, vim, w3m and mc -- all of
which i use. :(

thanks for all the helpful replies alex!

- p