[SlugBug] [HELP] dead debian X mouse

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Fri Aug 15 14:28:08 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:32:05PM +0100, Paul Arzul wrote:
> what else could be grabbing the mouse?

lsof | grep /dev/ps2aux
maybe?

> i don't know how much more voodoo i'm going to perform. anyone care to
> recommend a bsd flavour for a painless install? :)

FreeBSD 9

> that probably sounds a bit harsh -- so here are some kinder words...

No, it's about right. Woody is old-ish software now, though. For example,
X autoconfigures in sarge. Dunno about DMA, it's always been enabled on my
systems without messing around with hdparm.

> we're all running redhat at work, except me, and the main debian success
> story is that my workstation is the only one that can reach the office
> postscript printer. (it's cups printing via a windows share.)

Debian cups is good, I recommend you install the cups helpers too - for
example, there's a package for OpenOffice.org that will integrate cups
into it's print system - so rather than have to pass options to lpr, you
can select the printer name from a drop-down.

Your mouse problem is wierd, I've never heard of it before - Debian can
usually auto-detect them, even in woody. I would try booting to single user
mode and running mdetect while wiggling the mouse and see if anything
comes out. What make of mouse is it?

Cheers,

Alex.