[SlugBug] [HELP] dead debian X mouse

Alex Hudson home at alexhudson.com
Thu Aug 14 18:27:25 BST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 18:12, Paul Arzul wrote:
> workstation, although the install instructions i compiled are a mile
> long (little hardware is correctly autodetected/setup).

apt-get install discover read-edid mdetect

> at home, it's a different story. i tried to go with stable, and include
> a mix of testing/unstable as needs be (in order to get a more stable
> system).

That will lead to more instability, not less. The correct way to pull
from unstable/testing is to 'pin' packages, but I don't recommend it.
Running a mix is never a good idea though.

> at present, the mouse is dead and i've tried everything i can
> think of to bring it back to life.

Which kernel are you running? What type of mouse is it - ps2? usb?

Install the above and see what words of wisdom are issued when you run
'mdetect' as root. Ensure X isn't running at the time, even if the mouse
is 'dead'.

Cheers,

Alex.