[SlugBug] [m.dewar@sheffield.ac.uk: sound card - n00b question!!]

Matthew Collins matthew at janes.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 14:13:03 BST 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:21:12AM +0100, Mike Dewar wrote:
> Hello, and thanks for the help.
>
> typing:
>
> modprobe opl3sa2
>
> makes the damned souncard work, until I turn the computer off and back
> on again, whereupon I have to type modprobe... again. I managed to get
> Kudzu to notice the sound card and configure it, but this doesn't seem
> to change a thing. Red Hat's sndconfig still doesn't think I even have a
> soundcard.

My Debian install has got a file called /etc/modules that contains all
modules that should be loaded at boot time. Sorry, I don't know if Red
Hat has got that same thing. Have a look. If it has, then add opl3sa2 to
it.

> Can anyone shed some light onto what's going on? I don't really
> understand why it's not working or why modprobe should suddenly make it
> work. How do I make Linux realise that I have a soundcard and that it
> should load the opl3sa2 module rather than expect me to do it every time?

Modprobe installs the driver, so the kernel can see your soundcard. It's
not being loaded automatically, so when you boot, the soundcard is not
working.
To get it to work, it just needs to know to load it every time you boot
the machine.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs.