[ptx] Hugin architectural projection tutorial

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Mon Mar 13 04:58:51 GMT 2006

Stroller,

Looking at your
http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Examples/Hugged.jpg , I worry that
you have let the optimizer adjust too many things without enough
information.  The fact that you're getting curved lines using
rectilinear projection and a rectilinear lens suggests that the a/b/c
distortion parameters have gotten out of control.

I took a quick stab at your image, working from
http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Problems/Hugin/Original.jpg .
First I came up with
http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/Stroller20060312/StrollerCorrected.JPG
.  The tower is straight, the horizontals are straight (though
converging to the left because of your vantage point), and to my eye,
the picture has a "believable" feel.  (Of course, I don't know what the
real building looks like!)

The way I did this, was to set just two vertical controls as shown in
http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/Stroller20060312/StrollerPTS.jpg .
Then I turned off lens corrections (a=b=c=0) and optimized just pitch
and roll, leaving yaw=0.  This corresponds to correcting the vertical
tilt of your camera, but not the horizontal tilt caused by your
off-center vantage point.

I also tried setting a horizontal control at the roofline, and
optimizing yaw along with pitch and roll.  That corresponds to
correcting for the off-center vantage point too, so that the "virtual
film" would be parallel to the front of the building.  That made the
building look good (better?), but there wasn't enough sky and tree to
fill the frame on the right side.  See
http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/Stroller20060312/StrollerPTS2.jpg and
http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/Stroller20060312/StrollerCorrected2.JPG .

I did these tests with PTGui because that's what I normally use.  But
the corrections should be just the same with Hugin.  Note that these are
crops from a larger panorama.  The original outputs had a lot of black
space, see for example
http://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/Stroller20060312/StrollerCorrected2a.JPG
.

Hope this helps,