[ptx] Hugin architectural projection tutorial

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Mar 13 03:47:40 GMT 2006

On 12 Mar 2006, at 07:40, Glenn Barry wrote:

> Quick answer, it's from such a low viewpoint don't try and correct
> the convergence, it's an artistic choice I know, but from
> experience, if you remove the convergence completely, the
> impression of height has gone also.

Thank you for your advice.

 From an artistic point-of-view I have kinda mixed feelings about
this image. I don't really think it's a "keeper" (although having
stared at it for so many hours today & yesterday it's starting to
grow on me!) but I just thought it'd be suitable for this kind of
experimentation.

My initial thoughts on seeing this Hugin tutorial were "why would
anyone want to remove the perspective?" as I tend to see such
convergence as an intrinsic & artistic aspect of photography, part of
what I find interesting about the pursuit. However I was intrigued by
the tutorial author's words a "way of presenting architectural
photographs"; I have read a very little of Canon's pan-&-tilt lenses
and was curious to see the results of this "correction" using Hugin
(and the Panorama Tools, of course).

The wide-angle perspective was forced on me by my surroundings -
distancing myself from the church to use a longer focal-length caused
the trees on either side of the frame to obstruct my view - so this
was an interesting experiment for me. I am not so happy with other
distortions (bend of the roof) introduced by this "correction" and I
don't have immediate plans to frame the result, but I find it
interesting that compared to the original the church tower is more
"bold" and draws the eye more.
http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Examples/Hugged.jpg

Stroller.