[ptx] Hugin architectural projection tutorial

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Mon Mar 13 10:18:34 GMT 2006

Stroller wrote:

> From an artistic point-of-view I have kinda mixed feelings about  this
> image. I don't really think it's a "keeper" (although having  stared at
> it for so many hours today & yesterday it's starting to  grow on me!)
> but I just thought it'd be suitable for this kind of  experimentation.

It isn't such a good picture for experimentation, since this church
doesn't seem to have any straight lines anywhere.

> My initial thoughts on seeing this Hugin tutorial were "why would
> anyone want to remove the perspective?" as I tend to see such
> convergence as an intrinsic & artistic aspect of photography, part of
> what I find interesting about the pursuit.

The converging vertical lines are just an artefact caused by tilting
the camera up.  If you point the camera at the horizon they don't
appear, so I wouldn't say that this is a fake or artificial way to
display pictures of buildings.

They look strange mainly because of the way they are cropped, the
uncropped but remapped image from the tutorial doesn't look strange
at all, this picture could have been taken with a normal wide-angle
lens:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/architectural/shot-07.jpg

It is only when you crop the bottom half of the picture away that
you perceive asymmetrical distortion:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/tutorials/architectural/shot-08.jpg

If I remember, I try to take extra photos looking down at the floor
to balance the composition:

http://www.bruno.postle.net/photos/lisbon-july-2005/minist-rio-das-finan-as-collonade.jpg

--
Bruno