[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] Governance and decision making

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Jun 28 11:35:44 BST 2006

On Tue 27-Jun-2006 at 09:14 -0700, dmg wrote:

> Before we actual split the code I'll like to bring this to discussion.

I thought this was another mailing list for a moment ;-)

> But I fear now that we don't really know where we are going and how to
> get there. The main problem is: What do we do if we disagree? How
> can someone say "I think that is the wrong way to do things" without
> insulting another contributor?

They have to say it nicely?

> In other words, how do we, as contributors (not only developers, but
> also anybody who contributes, and to a certain extend, uses libpano
> decide its future?

It has to develop in the direction determined by those who have
energy and resources to work on it.  There hasn't yet been anyone
blundering around adding broken stuff, so there is no reason to
suppose this will happen in the future.

A more formal approach is to have people with roles:

* commit manager, checks and approves all patches before adding them.
* release manager, ensures that releases are sane.

Though the job of 'commit manager' is potentially quite a lot of
work, I don't know if anyone wants to do this.

--
Bruno