[ptx] Governance and decision making

dmg dmgerman at uvic.ca
Tue Jun 27 17:14:07 BST 2006

Hi everybody,

Before we actual split the code I'll like to bring this to discussion.

I have been thinking about panotools. Perhaps too much, as i had a
dream last night that involved it :)

I think Max was right on target when he discussed the issue of
decision making (how/who is going to decide what makes it into
pano12).

Until PTmender was created (correct me if I am wrong) there were not
many decisions to take. The main tasks were just to fix bugs in the
library (and give it a home).

Since PTmender exists the possibilities have opened. For instance it
was possible to implement cropped tiffs (thanks Max!) or to output the
colour adjustment curves. I think we have many new ideas that can
improve the software.

But I fear now that we don't really know where we are going and how to
get there. The main problem is: What do we do if we disagree? How
can someone say "I think that is the wrong way to do things" without
insulting another contributor? Or how do we decide on the development
process that we should follow?

For example, Max and I discussed the issue of indentation. We know it
is a problem, but how do we make a decision on what to do?

In other words, how do we, as contributors (not only developers, but
also anybody who contributes, and to a certain extend, uses libpano
decide its future?

--
Daniel M. German                  "Documentation is like sex:
                                   when it is good, it is very,