[ptx] Compiling Hugin on OSX/intel

Brett Elliott brette at cinci.rr.com
Sun Jun 25 18:30:52 BST 2006

Oliver (and others interested),

I've managed to compile libpano12 on my Intel based iMac.  Here are
the things I've learned:

For the jpeg library:
make install doesn't install the libraries.  For that you must run
make install-lib

For libpano12:
Once I did that, I went over to the libpano12 directory and copied
the makefile.osx to Makefile.
I ran make.
It complained about my libjpeg.a being out of date.
I executed: ranlib /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.a
At this point, you could run configure, or just use the Makefile from
makefile.osx.  I decided to run configure, just incase!
I executed: make
I executed: sudo make install

All appears well.

As an aside:
As I understand it, the configure script determines if libraries are
present by trying to compile a small program.  In this case, seeing
the output of the failed compile gave the answer directly (it said
something like "run ranlib"), however the configure script hid that
output.  Is there a switch somewhere that one could flip to see the
compiler errors and warnings when running configure?  Is there a log
kept someplace already?

Best of luck,
Brett