[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] branching libpano

Jim Watters jwatters at photocreations.ca
Tue Jun 20 16:51:47 BST 2006

On Tue, June 20, 2006 5:00 am, Bruno Postle said:
> Daniel M. German wrote:
>
>> Perhaps one solution to reduce this problem is to have a different
>> name. pano13 might find confusing, how about creating a new module
>> (called pano12) and copy all the files from the current libpano to
>> that. Then we keep developing "libpano". pano12 will always be
>> compatible with PTstitcher (at least as long as OSs can load it and
>> execute it) and libpano will be the "next generation" library.
>
> I have no real problem forking the project like this, it would be
> easy to switch the actively developed tools to use the new library.
>
> What would be wrong is if it ended up with two separate projects
> being actively developed - This is the situation the sourceforge
> project was created to fix (at one point there were four different
> forks and people had to switch libraries to get the feature they
> wanted).

If the changes/features can be made to work with the current PTStitcher then that is the
way to go.  The topic of creating a new library has come up several times in the past.
I believe there has been a few things that never got implimented because we could not
change the structures.  Correcting CAt comes to mind.  There are likly others.  If it is
forked then it will be neccessary to maintain both for a while.

> If PTmender gets finished, PTStitcher and the old pano12 can be
> officially retired and there is no problem - Though developers who
> link to pano12 will have to get used to the API/ABI changing
> occasionally.

PTStitcher is only one of the helper programs.  PTOptimizer is already done.  But there
are a few others.  Most of which I use but too should be updated.

PTCrypt.jar
PTEditor.jar      - non-java FSPViewer like app would be my preference.
PTPicker.jar      - not needed
PTAverage.exe
PTInterpolate.exe
PTMorpher.exe
PTOptimizer.exe   - Done
PTStereo.exe
PTStitcher.exe    - PTMender
PTStripe.exe

> What is remaining in PTmender?
> * Feathering - Is this really necessary.

Feathering is usefull for preview.  At least a crop to the midle of the seam.  The other
programs are too slow for preview.

--
Jim Watters

Yahoo ID: j1vvy ymsgr:sendIM?j1vvy