[ptx] Re: [PanoTools-devel] branching libpano

Max Lyons max.lyons at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 13:41:16 BST 2006

> Either way, I propose creating a CVS branch for the
> backwards-compatible pano12 and changing the files in the trunk so
> the library is built as pano.dll, libpano.so etc...
>
> Though I'd like to hear from people who use the library first as
> they need to make changes too, Max, Pablo, any comments?  (Pablo is
> away at the moment).

I have mixed feelings about this.  When I put on my Pano Tools developer hat,
it feels like the right thing to do.  We don't want to be constrained in the
development by maintaining compatibility with a bunch of binaries for which we
don't have source code.

But, when I put on my PTAssembler hat, I'm not so excitied about the idea.  I'm
envisioning distributing two versions of the DLL (one for PTStitcher users and
one for PTMender, PTOptimizer), reworking PTAssembler and its associated
documentation.  I fear a barrage of confused e-mails from users (most of whom
don't have the technical sophistication of the folks on this list) when they
find themselves in "DLL hell"!  As much as I'd like, I don't have control over
end-users' machines, and they frequently end up with weird combinations of out-
dated versions of files, copies of a DLL in seventeen different folders and so
on...I fear that this will add to the confusion.

But, as I indicated earlier, I'm happy to follow the majority decision.  it
sounds like branching seems to be the popular vote so far, although it isn't
clear to me if all the relevant stakeholders have commented.

Also how do we enforce that fixes made in one branch get made in the other
branch as well?  In an ideal world, I know that all contributers would make
changes in both branches when appropriate.  In practice, I fear that this may
not happen.  Is there a "merge czar" or someone else who will make this happen?

Max