[ptx] [PanoTools] Open source panoramic viewer project needs help

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed Sep 21 09:44:10 BST 2005

Message forwarded from the panotools list...

----- Forwarded message from Fulvio Senore <mailing at fsoft.it> -----

From: Fulvio Senore <mailing at fsoft.it>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:14:04 +0200
To: PanoTools at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [PanoTools] Open source panoramic viewer project needs help

I am glad to announce that we have just started the FreePV (Free
Panoramic Viewer) open source project at
<http://freepv.sourceforge.net>.

The goal of the project is to develop a panoramic viewer to be used in
browsers, combining the best features of existing ones. The key features
will be:

- Native/no dependencies: the viewer will be natively compiled for each
platform so it will be fast. The viewer will not need additional
software to run: no problems caused by version changes, like with Java 1.5.
- Optimal performance on most computers: we will develop both an OpenGL
and a software-only version of the viewer. OpenGL requires newer
hardware: users of older computer will be able to use the software only
version that works like the current Quicktime VR.
- Small size: I expect the download size to be less than 1 MB, probably
much less, so users will be able to download it quickly.
- Multiplatform: the viewer will be developed for Windows, Linux and Mac
OSX.
- Compatible: the viewer will be able to display jpeg equirectangular
images, Quicktime VR files and .ptv files. The viewer will be compatible
at the html level with most used PTViewer and/or QuickTime parameters,
so transition will be easy.
- The viewer will support hotspots, of course.

This are the minimum goals of the project, other features are likely to
be added with time.

It sounds like a large task, so we need help: we will need developers
(we expecially need some Linux and Mac developer), testing users, web
and graphic designers. If you can, please help: current panoramic viewer
have "features" that limit their adoption by end users (just think at
the bloated Quicktime 7 download, for example). FreePV will guarantee a
solid foundation to panoramic viewing for the next years.

At the moment we will have to do a lot of designing work before writing
code, so we also need ideas from people without programming skills.
First we want a good design as a solid starting point.

If you are interested you can join the FreePV developers mailing list at
<https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freepv-devel>
where we will discuss the viewer's design.

Thank you!

Fulvio Senore

----- End forwarded message -----