[ptx] Re: thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 31 12:50:36 BST 2005

--- Carl von Einem <einem at gmx.de> wrote:

> As I don't like pure "I don't like" statements for it's usual lack of a
> better idea I try to throw in more or less good examples for what I
> like. It was not my intention to compare hugin's UI with a print dialog.
> BTW Quark XPress always had it's own completely different print dialog
> on the Mac which is rarely seen on the Mac platform (I guess this has
> also historical and technical reasons).
>
> What I wanted to show is
>
> - how different language versions can lead to completely different sizes
> of a dialog or application window
>
> - how drop down lists, buttons and other stuff are aligned on Mac OS X
>
> - how a drop down dialog can cover complex settings / presets AND at the
> same time also has a simplistic and easy to read interface for a user's
> normal workflow.

And that was what I saw :-)
While hugin should never look like a print dialog, the ideas embedded in the
screenshots you put up are good in terms of showing the alternatives when space
is limited and you are not using the english interface. I'm not suggesting that
we will neccessarily use them, but it always good to compare and contrast.

> Maybe Pablo remembers that I showed him PTMac's interface in Stuttgart
> last year (very close to PTGui but even a 'clone' can have it's own
> soul). It's always not about forcing everything to look the same, what
> really is important in an application like hugin is wise grouping of the
> right functions to make usage straightforward for the beginner and fast
> for the expert.

Exactly. This is the area that I struggle a little with. In some ways I am too
close to it, so comments from real users can really help with making hugin fit
this ideal.

> PTMac uses tabs and I always cry how much real estate is thrown away
> that I miss not only in the control points tab. Both on a Powerbook and
> a two screen setup.
>
> Since I'm not yet on broadband I hesitated to download the OSX port of
> hugin but that'll change soon.

I hope you like it :-)

regards,
Doug