[ptx] Re: thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Carl von Einem einem at gmx.de
Tue May 31 06:32:24 BST 2005

As I don't like pure "I don't like" statements for it's usual lack of a
better idea I try to throw in more or less good examples for what I
like. It was not my intention to compare hugin's UI with a print dialog.
BTW Quark XPress always had it's own completely different print dialog
on the Mac which is rarely seen on the Mac platform (I guess this has
also historical and technical reasons).

What I wanted to show is

- how different language versions can lead to completely different sizes
of a dialog or application window

- how drop down lists, buttons and other stuff are aligned on Mac OS X

- how a drop down dialog can cover complex settings / presets AND at the
same time also has a simplistic and easy to read interface for a user's
normal workflow.

Maybe Pablo remembers that I showed him PTMac's interface in Stuttgart
last year (very close to PTGui but even a 'clone' can have it's own
soul). It's always not about forcing everything to look the same, what
really is important in an application like hugin is wise grouping of the
right functions to make usage straightforward for the beginner and fast
for the expert.

PTMac uses tabs and I always cry how much real estate is thrown away
that I miss not only in the control points tab. Both on a Powerbook and
a two screen setup.

Since I'm not yet on broadband I hesitated to download the OSX port of
hugin but that'll change soon.

best,
Carl