[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 27 08:26:13 BST 2005

--- Rob Park <rbpark at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/27/05, douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Just a note of caution:
> > The GTK widget set is _not_ the wx widget set.
>
> So I have discovered just now, reading the XRC files.
>
> > Although wx uses the GTK set on
> > linux, it does not use them on Windows or OSX. I would reccommend that you
> at
> > least test your ideas using the wx layout tools (like xrced) even if the
> > initial prototypes use Glade.
>
> Well, I'd love to get XRCed working, because manually editing XRC
> files is just not going to fly for me... they're just too obtuse.
> Problem is, on xrced website, they give two ways of downloading xrced:
> anonymous cvs, and tarball download. Anonymouse CVS won't let me check
> out the source code, and the tarball download is hosted on
> sourceforge, which is down for maintenance. So I have no access to
> XRCed sourcecode at all. Same for wxGlade, which looks more attractive
> to me anyway.

XRCed is part of the wxPython (not wxWidgets, my mistake) distribution under
wxPython/wx/tools/XRCed.

> I guess I'll try again tomorrow.
>
> Oh, and another thing. I tried to download the sourcecode for GIMP to
> see how they were doing some things, and it was just awful... I
> couldn't even _find_ the part of the sourcecode where they define how
> the UI looks and what widgets to use. I found a lot of code that did
> all the heavy lifting, like the code that actually gets executed when
> you click on a button or some such, but I couldn't find any of the
> actual code that says "this button is a GtkButton and it will show up
> on this part of this window in the interface". I'm starting to
> *really* hate GUI programming.

I shouldn't laugh, but that is just so similar to my comments when I first got
involved with GUI programming. :-)
How the GIMP guys keep track is beyond me.

> I'm gonna be busy working the next few days, but when I get a couple
> days off I'm gonna have to really put some energy into learning this
> XRC crap so I can do a proper cleanup of the hugin GUI.

Anything there is anything I can do to help, please just ask.

regards,
Doug