[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

douglas wilkins dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 27 07:26:25 BST 2005

Hi there,

--- Rob Park <rbpark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/26/05, Rob Park <rbpark at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We should strive to make it so that no matter what stitching engine is
> > chosen, the UI of the Stitcher tab shouldn't change like it does now
> > (oh god, and I thought it was bad before, with PTStitcher chosen it's
> > even worse). Consistency is paramount.
>
> Ok, in an attempt to simplify and get things aligned properly, I threw
> out the GtkFrames I was using and made the whole thing one big table:
>
> http://artography.ath.cx/hugin-test.png
>
> Looks good here, but there are several drawbacks. First, I don't know
> how to get the proper spacing to go in between each section, since
> there is no longer any real concept of "different sections", it's all
> just one big ugly table. Also, it stretches in the worst way:
>
> http://artography.ath.cx/hugin-test-crap.png
>
> I really don't like where this is going at all.

Also, have you tried it with different languages, where the widths of the
Labels and input areas may well be different?

> I still can't figure out how GIMP did that thing with the "lock aspect
> ratio" button* and the little lines drawn around it to indicate it
> affects both entry boxes (been pouring over gimp's sourcecode, and
> holy crap C an ugly language to be coding in).
>
> * See http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Lite_Quickies/scale-dialog.png
> (look at the little chain icon next to the "Ratio X/Y" entry fields)

I like this idea a lot, and it is used in many programs where there are related
parameters. I have not (yet) found a way to represent it nicely with wxWidgets.
The closest I came was to add a png image to the right of the entry fields
bracketing them together.

> What I really need is some way to examine a running GTK app to see the
> structure of the GTK widgets being used, without having to look at
> sourcecode. Like some way of getting Glade's "Widget Tree" to show me
> what's going on in a running application.

Again, wx is not GTK.

> All I know is that there has to be a better way to organize this GUI.
> Using one big table is just an absolute mess of crap, but without it I
> can't get stuff lined up properly. I hate this.

Me too. It seems so easy on the surface, but the devil is in the details.

regards,
Doug