[ptx] thoughts for hugin UI, post 0.5

Rob Park rbpark at gmail.com
Fri May 27 07:40:32 BST 2005

On 5/27/05, douglas wilkins <dgswilkins at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Just a note of caution:
> The GTK widget set is _not_ the wx widget set.

So I have discovered just now, reading the XRC files.

> Although wx uses the GTK set on
> linux, it does not use them on Windows or OSX. I would reccommend that you at
> least test your ideas using the wx layout tools (like xrced) even if the
> initial prototypes use Glade.

Well, I'd love to get XRCed working, because manually editing XRC
files is just not going to fly for me... they're just too obtuse.
Problem is, on xrced website, they give two ways of downloading xrced:
anonymous cvs, and tarball download. Anonymouse CVS won't let me check
out the source code, and the tarball download is hosted on
sourceforge, which is down for maintenance. So I have no access to
XRCed sourcecode at all. Same for wxGlade, which looks more attractive
to me anyway.

I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh, and another thing. I tried to download the sourcecode for GIMP to
see how they were doing some things, and it was just awful... I
couldn't even _find_ the part of the sourcecode where they define how
the UI looks and what widgets to use. I found a lot of code that did
all the heavy lifting, like the code that actually gets executed when
you click on a button or some such, but I couldn't find any of the
actual code that says "this button is a GtkButton and it will show up
on this part of this window in the interface". I'm starting to
*really* hate GUI programming.

I'm gonna be busy working the next few days, but when I get a couple
days off I'm gonna have to really put some energy into learning this
XRC crap so I can do a proper cleanup of the hugin GUI.

--
Urban Artography
http://artography.ath.cx