[ptx] Compiling Mono / gtk-sharp for autopano-sift etc by hand (AMD64)

Hal V Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue May 3 02:03:09 BST 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 01:27 pm, Brian wrote:
> It seems that to get autopano-sift-2.3 working on my ubuntu64 box I need
> to compile Mono + gtk-sharp by hand.
>
> However I am struggling with this.
>
> Has anyone on this list manually compiled Mono and the required
> dependencies for autopano-sift, if so, could you tell me how you did
> this?  I've got a lot of panos to stitch and I don't fancy manually
> placing the points on a 30 picture panorama!
>
> The other alternative is to install Wine windows emulator, and then use
> the autopano-sift 2.3 windows build..  This may well be the easiest
> option...
>
> thanks in advance

To get mono to build correctly and actually work on an am64 it needs to be
version 1.1 or higher.  Versions before 1.1 do not correctly support the
amd64.  I have been using version 1.1.5 and it has been working just fine.
Other amd64 users are reporting that 1.1.6 also works fine.

I am running Gentoo so by default all code is locally built.  Of course I used
a Gentoo ebuild to do this so it was not built "by hand".  I had a look at
the ebuild and it was straight forward.  So building by hand should not be a
big deal.  You will also need to build (or have it installed some other way)
libgdiplus 1.1.x before you try to build mono and possibly some others
apps/libraries as well.  pkgconfig and libxml12 are listed as hard
dependencies in the ebuild.  Also you need to be using nptl if your gcc
version is 3.4.x or later.

As to wine being easier.  I don't think so.  My experience with wine is that
it is a pain in the butt to get things working.  I only use it as my very
last resort.  If I can build a linux version (or equivalent) of the app the
thought of using wine never even enters my mind no matter how involved
building the linux version is.

You should take a deep breath and download the latest tarballs for libgdiplus,
mono and gtk-sharp and start building.  If you have your basic tool chain
correctly installed it should not be too difficult.  Perhaps you could be
more specific about what you are having difficulties with and I am sure that
this list can get you through it.

Sometimes having a amd64 machine and running mostly everything 64 bit can be a
little difficult because everything is not totally amd64 ready.  Mono is
currently one of those apps and as a result you have to use "unstable"
versions.  But there are others here that have allready blazed that trail and
we know it works.  We also have a fairly good handle on what the pit falls
are so please feel free to ask.   But also try to give us as much detail as
possible.