[ptx] hugin dependancies & sources for panorama-tools-nonfree

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Tue Jan 4 10:20:02 GMT 2005

On Mon 03-Jan-2005 at 23:07 -0800, David Grant wrote:

> Oh, do I also need a dependency on the "panorama tools" (I believe
> Bruno calls this panorama-tools-nonfree)

No these are extras, not required to stitch panoramas with hugin.

> binaries: PTInterpolate, PTStitcher, PTMorpher, PTStereo, PTStripe,
> PTAverage, PTOptimizer

PTStitcher: now largely superceded by nona/enblend.

PTOptimizer: source is now part of the libpano12 package.

PTMorpher: merge two images by interpolating between control-points.
This is a fairly standard image morphing tool.

PTAverage: merge multiple images by simple averaging of pixel
values.  This can be replicated in a photo editor with some effort.

PTStripe: assembles multiple pictures taken around an object into a
long strip suitable for viewing in an object viewer (such as the
ptviewer applet) - This is simple image-appending easily replicated
by imagemagick.

PTStereo: assembles 3d texture-mapped models of scenes based on
multiple source photos - I would *love* to have a Free software
version of this to play with.

PTInterpolate: I think this takes the output from PTStereo and
renders intermediate viewpoints.

> Why is there a new PTOptimizer when there is already one in
> libpano12?

There isn't one in the panorama-tools-nonfree package (though there
is a PTOptimizer symlink required to get the java tools working.  Is
that what you are seeing?).

> jars: ptpicker.jar, pteditor.jar, ptcrypt.jar

> And are the jars really necessary? This is something which has really
> been confusing me for the last few days.

ptpicker is a front-end analogous to hugin.  I believe that the only
advantage it has is that it allows you to pick control-points in
sets-of-three (necessary to drive the PTStereo tool).

pteditor is a viewer that allows you to extract parts of a panorama
as 'snapshots'.  You can edit these snapshots in the gimp and
reinsert them seamlessly - It would be nice if panoglview acquired
this functionality.

ptcrypt is a tool for scrambling jpeg images in a way intended to
allow people to post panoramas on web-sites without making the raw
image available - I seem to remember the encryption scheme was
cracked within hours of release.

Unfortunately, the java tools expect to write files in your working
directory, so the way to get them working is this kind of nastiness:

   chown username /usr/share/panorama-tools

On Mon 03-Jan-2005 at 23:19 -0800, David Grant wrote:

> Is it possible to get the sources for panorama-tools-nonfree
> anywhere?

No, although they are licensed under the GPL, they have no available
sourcecode.

--
Bruno