[ptx] Streetscape-panorama, new scientific paper

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Thu Feb 24 14:04:43 GMT 2005

Max Lyons' forums have been discussing this technique for a variety of
purposes.  The general term emerging for this is "ortho-mosaic," where
there are a number of camera positions, usually in parallel facing
directions, to develop a large flat image from many components.

    http://www.tawbaware.com/forum2/

The most general case of this is to take LOTS of skinny pictures.  A
flatbed scanner is just a one-pixel-wide camera with some lights on the
moving arm.  If you use more images, you have to

If you must use PanoramaTools (and any GUI above it) for this sort of
project, minimize the FOV for each image, so that each image takes up a
very small portion of the overall "image sphere" that the tools assume.

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]