[ptx] Streetscape-panorama, new scientific paper

Sebastian Nowozin nowozin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:08:59 GMT 2005

Hello everybody,

I asked on this list a while back how to go about producing a
streetscape panorama, where you have one long linear image that shows a
streetblock (basically what Google Maps has now for big US cities), by
combining many photographs.

Today I found a recent paper from the IEEE Visualization 2004
conference, written by Augusto Román, Gaurav Garg and Marc Levoy from
Stanford.  They do just that in a semi-automatic way from a video.

"Interactive Design of Multi-Perspective Images for Visualizing Urban
Landscapes"

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/multi-cross-slits/

At the above URL there is the original paper, an example image and a
video.  I think their technique can be extended to use images instead of
a video stream (ie. making it more practical for us panorama geeks) and
the technique does not sound too difficult to implement.  Registering
the images may be similar to the recent "large map from many scanned
images" discussion on this list.

Any comments on the technique or similar papers known to you? :)

bye,
Sebastian