[ptx] tif2xcf crashes

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Thu Nov 4 23:05:08 GMT 2004

On Mon 01-Nov-2004 at 04:44 +0100, Gerhard Gaussling wrote:

> I want to retouch my first freehand panos to move people or
> correct bad seams, huge parallax errors :-( etc. in the Gimp and
> blend them finally with enblend 2.0-1.
>
> For that I found tif2xcf ( http://www.vierpi.de/tif2xcf.html ).
> Maybe I will try nona stitched multilayered TIFF's and separate
> them with tiffsplit to blend them with enblend. What's the best
> workflow?

Nona can create multilayer tiff files, these can be opened by
gimp-2.x, so tif2xcf is redundant as a way of getting your data into
the gimp.

nona -> gimp -> enblend would be the ideal workflow for retouching
before blending, but there are two drawbacks:

1. The gimp can't (yet) save multilayer tiff, you need to save each
   layer as a separate file - I'd be interested to hear how other
   users automate this step.

2. Enblend doesn't read multilayer tiff, however there is a patch
   for 1.x versions:

     http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/ptx/2004-June/001791.html

> What's the difference between the brightness and color correction of
> PTSTitcher and using emblend?

In cases where exposure varies between shots, PTStitcher can adjust
levels in the images before blending.  This is a good technique, but
produces nasty image artifacts when used with 8bit per channel
images.

Enblend doesn't adjust image levels, but has a much more
sophisticated blending strategy which means that seams are often
undetectable - Even when joining two images of very different
exposures.

--
Bruno