[ptx] tif2xcf crashes

Gerhard Gaussling ggrubbish at web.de
Sat Nov 6 15:11:14 GMT 2004

Hello Bruno,

Thank you for your reply:

Am Freitag 05 November 2004 00:05 schrieb Bruno Postle:
> > Maybe I will try nona stitched multilayered TIFF's and separate
> > them with tiffsplit to blend them with enblend. What's the best
> > workflow?
>
> Nona can create multilayer tiff files, these can be opened by
> gimp-2.x, so tif2xcf is redundant as a way of getting your data into
> the gimp.

Thank you for point me to this! I thought also gimp-2.05 can't handle
multilayer tiff's at all.

> nona -> gimp -> enblend would be the ideal workflow for retouching
> before blending, but there are two drawbacks:
>
> 1. The gimp can't (yet) save multilayer tiff, you need to save each
>    layer as a separate file - I'd be interested to hear how other
>    users automate this step.

I'm interested in a script-fu or perl-script that does the trick, too!
In photoshop I think it would be easy also for non programmers, due to
the existing macro-recorder in the "action" palette.

> 2. Enblend doesn't read multilayer tiff, however there is a patch
>    for 1.x versions:
>
>      http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/ptx/2004-June/001791.html

Will there ever be a diff for enblend-2.0?

> > What's the difference between the brightness and color correction
> > of PTSTitcher and using emblend?
>
> In cases where exposure varies between shots, PTStitcher can adjust
> levels in the images before blending.  This is a good technique, but
> produces nasty image artifacts when used with 8bit per channel
> images.

If that nasty artifacts are huge color casts, so I got that case
already.

> Enblend doesn't adjust image levels, but has a much more
> sophisticated blending strategy which means that seams are often
> undetectable - Even when joining two images of very different
> exposures.

I got problems I think because I made the retouch in the masks with a
soft brush (fuzzy brush). I think enblend only handles straight lines
in the mask (pure 1bit black and white masks)?
I flattened the Image to the layer I wanted to save as a single tiff
(all other layers with visibility disabled), and restored the whole
image with the history palette. I repeated this for each layer.

That alpha and/or mask turned into black pixels in the tiff files I
received this way.

Using enblend on these files results in nasty trabsparent ghost like
pictures where I can only recognize one transparent layer - what's
happened?

Thank you in advance

regards

Gerhard