[ptx] possible optimizer bug, filename ordering [Re: bugs - hugin_snapshot_hugin_2004_07_16-08_33_win32.zip]

Rik Littlefield rj.littlefield at computer.org
Sat Jul 17 03:54:23 BST 2004

Pablo d'Angelo wrote:

>>- Default values for lens parameters (a, b, c) are still 0. hugin does not
>>optimise these values until they are not edited to 0,01 or so. This was
>>already reported. I'm not sure, but I think this behavior is not new - it
>>just comes up due to the new defaults.
>>

>Ups, overlooked that. I'll take a look at it.. Strangely, the same thing
>happens if I just use PTOptimizer on the script. If I set the initial b to
>some number significantly different from 0 (0.1 or so), it works, but else
>it fails on the command line as well. If I set it to a really small number,
>like 0.0001, the b estimate goes berzerk and I get a rms error of ~144,
>where
>
>I don't remember the old optimizer did stuff like that, I'm using the new,
>panotools 2.7a-2 rpm from bruno's site. Maybe its a bug somewhere inside
>the improved optimisation?

Could always be a bug.  But I just reran one of my standard test cases,
using pano12.dll built from 2.7.0.3 sources, under PTGui, optimizing
fov/a/b/c from starting a/b/c = 0, e-6, e-5, e-4, e-3, e-2, 0.1, 0.2,
0.5, and it converged stably in all those cases. It finally failed to
converge well starting at a/b/c = 1, no great surprise.

Could also be some subtle interaction with other parameters.

If this problem persists, send me the PTOptimizer script and I'll try it
in my environment.

--Rik