[ptx] autopano1.03 comparison to autopano-sift1.4

Ian Sydenham ian_sydenham at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 15:30:02 BST 2004

I've run a small comparison of control point creation for 2 images
2048x1536 taken from a moving cable-car and asking for 100 control
points. A difficult task anyway, but the comparison was very clear.

Autopano-sift ran *much* slower than autopano1.03 (or 1.02)- I did not
use a stop watch, but about 3 times as long as autopano.

Autopano-sift at size:2000 found me 100 control points and when
optimised in Hugin the average control point distance was 0.74 pixels,
maximum 1.67.

Autopano1.03 at size:2000 found 44 control points and when optimised
in Hugin the average control point distance was 33 pixels, maximum 53
pixels.

Autopano-sift at size:800 found 64 control points and when optimised
in Hugin the average control point distance was 0.75 pixels, maximum 2.14.

Autopano1.03 at size:800 found 29 control points and when optimised in
Hugin the average control point distance was 14 pixels, maximum 25
pixels. The optimisation gave a warped image and on closer inspection
I found 5 incorrect control point matches. Removing them gave a better
image, but did not significantly improve the control point error.

matches, and only found "proper" match points.
Autopano1.03 was much much faster, but the output file still required
lots of manual changes to get a good image.

Is this comparison similar to anyone else's findings?

regards,

Ian Sydenham