[ptx] OSX with XCode

Guillaume Filion gfk at logidac.com
Fri Jul 9 19:01:24 BST 2004

Hi all,

I've been doing panoramas with Apple QuickTime VR Authoring Studio
(QTVR-AS - circa 1998) for some time. QTVR-AS is great, but shows some
signs of aging. A couple of days ago, I discovered Hugin, which, while
harder to use than QTVR-AS, is much more powerful. I'm using the
Windows version, but I'd like to use it on my PowerBook G4 running
MacOSX 10.3.4.

So I took a look at the mailing list archive and tried to compile Hugin
on my Mac using XCode. I updated Bruno's instructions as I was going:
-----
Instructions for compiling hugin on MacOS X 10.3 using XCode

By Guillaume Filion <guillaume at filion.org>
Based on
http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/ptx/2004-February/001375.html by
Bruno Postle <bruno at postle.net>

Dependencies
===========

- Fink
Hopefully you can use fink to get most of them:

First you need to add the unstable branch to fink.
Edit  /sw/etc/fink.conf, add unstable/main  and unstable/crypto to the
Trees: line, and then run "sudo fink selfupdate; fink index"
Note that this will update the core packages to their "unstable"
version, which could be pretty long...
See http://fink.sourceforge.net/faq/usage-fink.php#unstable for more
infos.

After doing this, run the following commands to download and install
most of the dependencies. At the time of writing, vigra and boost are
not available in precompiled form, that's why we need to compile them
with the "fink install" command rather than the standard "apt-get
install".

sudo apt-get install libjpeg libpng3 libpng-shlibs libtiff zlib fftw
gdk-pixbuf gdk-pixbuf-shlibs
sudo fink install vigra boost1.31 boost1.31-shlibs

The only thing left to install is Panorama Tools and wxWidgets for
MacOSX.

- PanoTools

Bruno Postle posted instruction for compiling Linux PanoTools on MacOSX
http://www.email-lists.org/pipermail/ptx/2004-February/001374.html

I prepared a tarball containing the source code and the good Makefile
at:
http://logidac.com/gfk/pano12-osx.tar.gz

     make
     sudo make install

- wxWidgets

Download the lastest 2.5.x version of wxMac from:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/

     ./configure --disable-shared
     make
     sudo make install
     cd contrib/src/xrc
     make
     sudo make install

The wxWindows xrc module gets installed with the wrong name, create
a copy with the correct name in the hugin lib directory:

     cp /usr/local/lib/libwx_mac_xrc-2.4.so
./src/lib/libwx_mac_xrc-2.4.dylib

Hugin itself
=========

- Get the latest hugin cvs code
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hugin login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hugin co hugin

- Add the Mac files to hugin's code.
 From http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/ :
http://homepage.mac.com/ippei_ukai/software/hugin/huginmacsource.zip

Copy the pano12 headers into the hugin tree:
     mkdir /path/to/hugin/src/include/pano12
     cp /path/to/pano12/*.h src/include/pano12/

Open the file HuginOSX.xcode in the mac directory and press on the
hammer button.
-----

I managed to compile most of the files, but I keep getting this error:
-----
imageinfo.cxx:313: error: no `vigra::ImageExportInfo&
vigra::ImageExportInfo::setPosition(const vigra::Diff2D&)' member
function declared in class `vigra::ImageExportInfo'
imageinfo.cxx:314: error: `m_pos' undeclared (first use this function)
(Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it
appears in.)
imageinfo.cxx:319: error: no `vigra::Diff2D
vigra::ImageExportInfo::getPosition() const' member function declared
in class `vigra::ImageExportInfo'
imageinfo.cxx:362: error: `setXResolution' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:363: error: `setYResolution' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:364: error: `setPosition' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:364: error: `getPosition' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:381: error: `getNumExtraBands' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:381: error: `m_num_extra_bands' undeclared (first use
this function)
imageinfo.cxx:382: error: `getPosition' undeclared (first use this
function)
imageinfo.cxx:435: error: no `int
vigra::ImageImportInfo::numExtraBands() const' member function declared
in class `vigra::ImageImportInfo'
imageinfo.cxx:460: error: no `vigra::Diff2D
vigra::ImageImportInfo::getPosition() const' member function declared
in class `vigra::ImageImportInfo'
-----
It looks like something wrong with vigra, but what? Any idea?

Thanks a lot,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr