[ptx] Thoughts about an advanced preview

Mike Runge mike at trozzreaxxion.net
Fri Jul 2 09:22:30 BST 2004

Stimulated by the new previewer in snapshot 01-07-2004 I would like to
discuss my thoughts about a more precise preview

The old one (previous hugin builds) was very usable (because very fast)
for looking at the general layout of a project. But I would think having
a more precise one (including blend masks, distorsion) would be very
usable. Maybe this should be some kind of an optional 'precise' previewer?!

I would like to inspect some areas of a hugin project in more detail
without stitching all images in high resolution. So I would like to
specify some images to stitch temporary and view directly from within
hugin.
This would require:
- an easy method to identify and specify individual images in the
preview (looking at the preview, finding some misalignments and finding
out what image numbers are involved can be hard for projects with plenty
images)
- a possibility to specify an output dimension
- a possiblity to stitch only some specific images from within hugin.

First approach could be a possiblity in the stitcher tab that would
allow to stitch only a list of images (1-3,8,10). A much smarter
solution would be to select the images to preview directly in the
preview window (by image buttons) and specify an output dimension there
(or use the one from the stitcher tab) and generate the preview directly
from within the preview tab (and show it there or in a seperate window).

What do you think? Is there anyone else who would find that useful? Or
is that way off your working process or the hugin development targets
and there are much more urgent/relevant enhancement requests?

best, mike