[ptx] Re: Thoughts about an advanced preview

Pablo d'Angelo pablo.dangelo at web.de
Fri Jul 2 18:10:52 BST 2004

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004, Mike Runge wrote:

> Stimulated by the new previewer in snapshot 01-07-2004 I would like to
> discuss my thoughts about a more precise preview
>
> The old one (previous hugin builds) was very usable (because very fast)
> for looking at the general layout of a project. But I would think having
> a more precise one (including blend masks, distorsion) would be very
> usable. Maybe this should be some kind of an optional 'precise' previewer?!

Yes, I plan to do something like that. actually the old one included
distortion, but not blend masks.

> I would like to inspect some areas of a hugin project in more detail
> without stitching all images in high resolution. So I would like to
> specify some images to stitch temporary and view directly from within
> hugin.

Hmm, might be useful, but its probably needs some time to implement.
Anyway, specifying parts of a panorama for rendering is also interesting
for normal stitching.

Hmm, so you would like something like:
1. select images
2. do closeup stitch (will set the boundaries etc, to only include the
   selected images.
3. provide some way to switch back to the normal view.

One question: how should the selection of the images look like? The
current row of buttons doesn't look like a good solution. I haven't tried
the new windows version yet, but from the mails I see that the buttons
became wider in wxWidgets 2.5.2 under windows.

> First approach could be a possiblity in the stitcher tab that would
> allow to stitch only a list of images (1-3,8,10). A much smarter
> solution would be to select the images to preview directly in the
> preview window (by image buttons) and specify an output dimension there
> (or use the one from the stitcher tab) and generate the preview directly
> from within the preview tab (and show it there or in a seperate window).
>
> What do you think? Is there anyone else who would find that useful? Or
> is that way off your working process or the hugin development targets
> and there are much more urgent/relevant enhancement requests?

I need to fix some more bugs, and create slides for the PanoTools Meeting in
Stuttgart on the 10th. Btw. is anybody going there? I'll give a presentation
on hugin and other opensource panoramic soft (autopano, enblend).

Another feature I was thinking about, was to show differences in the preview
window (so that it is easy to see the parts that do not merge well). Maybe
this could be combined with some kind of a mask editor, so that duplicate
people, cars etc can be removed easily.

I also want to finally implement the stitcher defaults, so that most people
do not need to mess with the stitcher settings too much.