superficial xrc changes...

Ed Halley ed at halley.cc
Wed Nov 5 13:13:04 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 03:50, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Ed,
> The f projection parameter is to important than bringing it so far away
> from the stitcher button. Please be more carefully with hints. Some of
> them have gone lost. XRCedit is not allways relyable with tooltips.
> As well I cannot locate which is the stitcher button. Please make him
> bigger or say clear what he does. It is the most wanted ;)

* f parameter:  I agree it should be prominent; I may move it up to the
top next to the stitcher button.  I was trying to be consistent with the
Optimizer, but the projection override on the Optimizer tab is not used
as often.

* I would rather make the dialog more clear by looking at it, than
depend on hidden hints.  Users don't paint the screen with mouse
movements, searching for hints to understand what information belongs
where.  Very few applications put any hints anywhere.  Putting a tooltip
on *every* control just frustrates the user to realize that they have to
play a hunting game to learn the interface.  I recommend we use tooltip
hints sparingly, not on every control.

* I will change the "Now!" buttons to name their key function.  I was
also planning a graphic on the button, but don't yet know how to do that
with a wxButton.

> Does somebody know of an automated tool which does an update of po
> translation files witch two xrc folders or two xrc files as argument?
>
> As long as translations belong to a good user interface, would You like to
> help me maintain?
> One thing I can imagine is You create a file and put the new strings
> under the old ones and let an empty row. So I can tell vim via an macro to
> update de.po . (An sed script should do as well.) The translator can check
> if all is ok then.
> Otherwise an translator would need the old string from the old xrc file
> and search for the new place in the new xrc file and exchange in the po
> translation file. ... too much work.

I don't want translators to try to "chase" an interface when it's still
very preliminary.  Even before I got involved, the interface kept
changing every few builds, and it's not going to stop soon.

When it starts settling down, then we can ask translators to lend a hand
without wasting their efforts by changing features they've already
translated.  (I do realize I'm dealing with a German development team.
:) )

Give it a few more builds, and if you have any PO ideas, let me know.

> Hope we get a flexible solution. Thanks for going in the gui.

Thanks for making a GUI that actually works! ;)

--
[ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ]