My first hugin trial

Pablo d'Angelo pablo at mathematik.uni-ulm.de
Fri Aug 1 16:57:38 BST 2003

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003, HaJo Schatz wrote:

> Hi developers,
>
> Just gave hugin a first try. All thumbs up, I love especially the
> control-point selection. This takes a lot of time out of creating a
> pano!

*g* I hope to make it even better in the future. I'm just trying to
avoid implementing a "Lens" feature ;)

> But then, there are a few inputs so far which you might want to have a
> look at. I didn't put them into the bugtracker as I'm not sure how many
> of them are a result of my stupidity or ignorance that this is
> work-in-progress. Maybe you know about them already, in that case, just
> forget it ;)

Thanks for you feedback! Everything helps.

> - The "nightly CVS tarball" as referenced to by hugin.sourceforge.net
> contains the files in CVS format, I.e. configure,v et al.

fixed

> - After finally figuring out what xrc is and how to install it,
> compilation was relatively smooth. One issue though: I compile with
> several parallel processes (make -j5). One process died due to an error,
> but it didn't bring the other processes down, I.e. the end of the
> compilation didn't alert me with an error.

never tried that. is -j5 really faster, or do you have a nice 5
processor machine ;)

> - In the Images tab, it's a bit annoying that the preview changes with
> 'MouseOver'. While this appears neat at first, it's difficult to select
> a pic, move the mouse to the preview window (without hitting another
> pic) and changing the parameters. Maybe once the mouse is out of the
> file listing, the preview should switch back to the selected pic? Or,
> the traditional way, the preview only changes once the list entry is
> clicked on.

True, kai-uwe, can you change that?

> - When changing parameters such as yaw, the user has to hit <ENTER> to
> get the changes over to the file list. I'd expect <TAB> to do the same.
> I believe an "OnCursorExit" (or whatever the event is called) should
> commit the changes, an <ESC> in the field should put the original value
> back into the field.
>
> - Moving existing control-points around is like touching a raw egg.
> Hugin frequently asserts here, I've also seen segfaults. Not exactly
> sure why and how to improve it, but it seems to be an area to keep an
> eye on.

well I've started with subpixel control points, but they are not
enabled yet. during that I might have added some more bugs. I guess you
just have to wait till I cleanup that code.

> - I guess a progress bar or "current output" view of the PTools backends
> is on the todo-list anyhow. As soon as someone starts hugin from a panel
> rather than the shell, he might get confused with what's about to happen
> once he clicks "Stitch images" ;)

jep, that one of the next things I want to do.

> I haven't tried too much, as especially the control-point crashes are
> happening a bit too often for me to really go through it very
> thoroughly. For me, implementation of "Save/Load project" would be very
> beneficial to "jump over these crashes" and not start from scratch.

*g* I was waiting for that request :)

> But again, I am really really looking forward to a stable hugin -- this
> is going to be an excellent piece of S/W!

Yep, looks like were getting somewhere! I still have many ideas that
will take at least the next half year of my spare coding time ;)