My first hugin trial

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Fri Aug 1 12:16:47 BST 2003

Hi developers,

Just gave hugin a first try. All thumbs up, I love especially the
control-point selection. This takes a lot of time out of creating a
pano!

But then, there are a few inputs so far which you might want to have a
look at. I didn't put them into the bugtracker as I'm not sure how many
of them are a result of my stupidity or ignorance that this is
work-in-progress. Maybe you know about them already, in that case, just
forget it ;)

- The "nightly CVS tarball" as referenced to by hugin.sourceforge.net
contains the files in CVS format, I.e. configure,v et al. I believe this
is not the intention of providing a tarball ;) Not sure though whether
this is an issue of sourceforge or a setting of the sourceforge project.

- After finally figuring out what xrc is and how to install it,
compilation was relatively smooth. One issue though: I compile with
several parallel processes (make -j5). One process died due to an error,
but it didn't bring the other processes down, I.e. the end of the
compilation didn't alert me with an error.

- In the Images tab, it's a bit annoying that the preview changes with
'MouseOver'. While this appears neat at first, it's difficult to select
a pic, move the mouse to the preview window (without hitting another
pic) and changing the parameters. Maybe once the mouse is out of the
file listing, the preview should switch back to the selected pic? Or,
the traditional way, the preview only changes once the list entry is
clicked on.

- When changing parameters such as yaw, the user has to hit <ENTER> to
get the changes over to the file list. I'd expect <TAB> to do the same.
I believe an "OnCursorExit" (or whatever the event is called) should
commit the changes, an <ESC> in the field should put the original value
back into the field.

- Moving existing control-points around is like touching a raw egg.
Hugin frequently asserts here, I've also seen segfaults. Not exactly
sure why and how to improve it, but it seems to be an area to keep an
eye on.

- After such a crash & restart, changing the lens settings of pics (eg
to circular) doesn't work any more. I have to delete ~/.huginrc first to
get it back...

- Having optimized lens parameters, clicking on a file in "Lens
settings" doesn't bring the parameters over to the input-area.

- I guess a progress bar or "current output" view of the PTools backends
is on the todo-list anyhow. As soon as someone starts hugin from a panel
rather than the shell, he might get confused with what's about to happen
once he clicks "Stitch images" ;)

I haven't tried too much, as especially the control-point crashes are
happening a bit too often for me to really go through it very
thoroughly. For me, implementation of "Save/Load project" would be very
beneficial to "jump over these crashes" and not start from scratch.

But again, I am really really looking forward to a stable hugin -- this
is going to be an excellent piece of S/W!

HaJo