A critique of the ptgui interface

Bruno Postle bruno@postle.net
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:27:38 +0100

On Thu 18-Apr-2002 at 09:38:43 +0200, Kai-Uwe.Behrmann@VHBAC.SMF.SACHSEN.DE wrote:

> Bruno, did You use any tool for scetching Your mockup?

I used glade for the widgets and the gimp for text and pasting-in
images.

> The CP-dialoge locks fine in the mockup. I hope we can load even large
> images in these windows without swapping.

That's a good point, loading all these pictures as uncompressed RGB into
memory will take up a lot of space.  They could be stored internally as
jpg blobs and only decompressed when viewed - I don't know how to do
this or whether it's possible.

> While changing especially the positional parameters ( yaw, roll, pitch
> and fow ), a quickly updating of the selected picture in the preview
> would be nice. Can these positional parameters obtain sliders? It
> should be as well possible to drag on picture to the right position
> with the mouse.

ptgui does this, but it might be hard.  I _think_ Joost has written a
lot of that code himself rather than using Helmut's library.

--
Bruno