[esocialaction] open documentary project - draft proposal

Soenke Zehle s.zehle at kein.org
Sun Sep 11 12:26:40 BST 2005

Dear All,

I am new to the list so will take some time to put in my 2 cents on the
open media project, but am very likely to get involved:

- I am currently developing a 'transcultural media studies project' at a
German university, using Drupal;

- colleagues who set up (don't expect much at tmsp.org - just got
started dealing with access issues etc...) the site for me are very
active in the development of open source media apps, see

http://theater.kein.org/ and
http://kein.tv/

I have been very interested in developing an open media platform for
human rights documentaries but am just now getting my hands dirty in
terms of the actual tech details, and there will be a Drupal developer
workshop in October where some of this is likely to be taken up.

anyway, following the discussion with great interest, not entirely sure
what I could contribute at this moment other than another institutional
affiliation, more later,

Soenke

PS Also see:
<http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2142092/bbc-opens-archives-public>
BBC opens archives to the public

Clips go open source in Creative Archive Licence scheme
Iain Thomson, vnunet.com 09 Sep 2005

The BBC has tentatively opened its TV archive over the internet. Around
100 short clips from shows such as Walking With Beasts and Tomorrow's
World have been made available for what the BBC calls "free public use
in their own creative works".

BBC Radio 1 launched the scheme with a competition to produce a music
video. Under the newly created Creative Archive Licence, clips may be
used freely except in commercial or campaigning ways and must not be
used to defame other people.

Paul Gerhardt, director of the Creative Archive Licence Group, said:
"This is aimed at a young media-aware audience who are naturally tuned
into the idea of content being available when they want it, and who will
welcome the right to shape it to meet their needs."

The Creative Archive Licence allows people within the UK to watch,
download and edit the clips and programming for non-commercial purposes.

The clips also include more generic material such as shots of
cityscapes, sunsets, seascapes and the like, all available in QuickTime,
Windows Media and MPEG1 formats.

StuartGordon, senior consultant at Capgemini Telecom Media and
Entertainment, said: "We've seen online music go mainstream over the
past year. This move by the BBC may be the seed that the industry needs
to start mainstream adoption of video content over the internet.

"This will be supported by the adoption of 3G devices this Christmas and
in the new year, the new Sky, Tivo and other home gateways which are
expected to support access to video content from the internet."

The British Film Insti tute, Channel 4, the Open University and
Teachers' TV are also set to make more material available.