[Bins] .spec file for producing an RPM

Guillaume Rousse rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr
Sun Sep 19 09:58:27 BST 2004

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:
> I wanted to install the latest bins by RPM on my Mandrake 10.0 system,
> so I "borrowed" the .spec file out of an old Mandrake RPM for bins.
 >
> I quickly noticed that the .spec file did not install any of the templates
> but the default and the joi template, so I altered it to copy them.
The 10.0 package is 1.1.25-2mdk, and it installs all templates
correctly: joi, jab, default, satyap

> It seems like the .spec file could be added to the tarball to make it
> easier for people like me to build an RPM even if you don't want to
> have to deal with that.
It's evil to suggest people to use self-made rpms instead of official
ones. And it is evil to fork existing work. If you have corrections to
do, suggest them to the maintainer rather.

> I added a directory in the tarball called "rpm", and put a bins.spec
> file in it, then make a src rpm so that I at least can keep it around and
> not lose it the next time a new tarball comes out.
>
> I would like to offer the modified .spec file...  I doubt that Mandrake
> would mind, but I guess I could ask the package maintainer to be
> sure.
I am the maintainer of the mdk bins package...